Inside HerVest with Oyin Asaaju
Inside HerVest is a monthly publication series where HerVest staff members share interesting facts about themselves and their jobs. Here we learn surprising facts about them, tips for thriving in their industry and everything in between. Today’s Inside HerVest spotlight is our Agribusiness Lead, Oyin Asaaju.
- Can we meet you? My name is Oyin Asaaju and I like to get work done. I am currently head of the Agribusiness team at HerVest.
- Describe your job to a five-year-old? So, I work with farmers. A farmer grows plants and takes care of animals so they can produce very good food. Everything we eat comes from plants and animals. I work on a large piece of land called a farm. I also work with a lot of people and we work very hard so that we can have food.
Without farmers, we’ll go hungry. We’ll have no Kellogs, chicken, orange juice, or apples. We’ll have no breakfast, lunch or dinner. That isn’t good!
Now here is where I come in. I help farmers or let’s call them people in agriculture to reduce waste and make more money. If you own a farm and want to make big money from it, I can guide you in making the right choices, so you don’t make mistakes.
3. What does it feel like to lead the Agribusiness team at HerVest?
Challenging, exciting and more importantly, a great learning experience.
I oversee the team’s development and execution of marketing strategies, the organization of agricultural seminars and training sessions, the maintenance of accurate financial records, the supervision of planting and harvesting operations, and keeping up with market trends.
I essentially oversee all aspects of the agricultural business from production, packaging, and sales. It’s a hands-on role.
4. Imagine you were at your TEDTALK and had 30 secs to speak on the importance of investing in agriculture. Shoot your shot?
You would recall that during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, only 2 sectors mattered in the whole world. The food sector was one of them and that’s because great value is timeless. From food to energy, to clothing, etc., agriculture is so vast with endless possibilities. It is one sector with adaptable technologies. Tell me what’s more iconic than feeding the world and making money while at it? I’ll wait.
5. How has HerVest impacted your money habits? I particularly enjoy the Cliq Savings feature as it keeps me accountable with family and friends. I’m saving up for a trip and definitely looking forward to travelling with my girls.
6. What are you reading at the moment? WILL by Will Smith.
7. What movie series are you currently watching? Better Call Saul.
8. One piece of advice to anyone looking to transition into Agriculture?
Identify the aspect of agriculture that interests you the most, and learn about it. Reach out to experts in the field. Do your homework and take a dive. There are no rewards without calculated leaps.
9. One interesting fact people don’t know about you? I love red wine and I can identify which country a bottle is from, by tasting it. Haha!
10. Your ridiculous purchase ever? A car. I’ll do it again though haha!
11. Saving or investing? Investing.
12. What is your life philosophy? Win some, lose some.
Thank you Oyin. It was great chatting with you.